As @Truelle asked me privately a few weeks ago, we would like to clarify our position about using the game assets for your applications (or website) that use the Gangs of Space API.
We don't want to make complex rules that can only be understood by a lawyer, so we'll keep it at:
You are allowed to use 2d ingame assets in an application that use the Gangs of Space API as long as:
- your application is free to use, or use the Gangs of Space Payment API
- you put a visible notice somewhere in your application that explains that some assets that you use are © LittleBigMMO, with a link to www.gangsofspace.com
For the purpose of this rule 2d ingame assets are:
- the game logo
- the various icons present ingame (ex: items, buttons, NPC faction flags...)
- 2d renderings of the game 3d models (ex: screenshot of a ship or enemy, like the ones you can find on the Wiki
You can also use:
- the game font: Maven Pro (with a separate copyright attribution to Joe Prince)
- Gang flags, of which the URL is returned by the API (the copyright status of which will be clarified when we ask all the players to sign an EULA when the game leaves alpha status)
Explicitely excluded are:
- sounds and musics
- 3d models and textures, displayed in 3d
About point 1, the Payment API is not yet available, but it will enable you to "sell" access to your application (either one-time payment or a subscription price) in Caps. Getting in-game "advantages" thanks to your hard work developping application IS part of the game. Unfortunately we cannot allow you to making real-life money out of this work for many legal reasons.
If you have a good reason to go further than these rules, or want some clarification, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.